Random: Weird Occupational Hazards of YouTubing

Random: Weird Occupational Hazards of YouTubing

First, I gotta say, while this is my third trip into the #DoctorWho
VR game, #TheEdgeofTime , it is both my first video on the subject and the first video that I've actually edited (short of making split screens) in something newer than Windows Movie Maker. Granted, since my computer/monitor, and by extension, my screen capture program, doesn't support 4K resolution the resulting video definitely won't be, but I think I'm interested enough in some of VSDC's other features to learn to do more with it and eventually invest in the pro version.

Now, there are all kinds of "occupational hazards" you might run into while making videos for YouTube, but I wanted to share this video featuring three that I encountered within a single recording session.
Why? Because I already put in the effort to record the video, dagnabbit!

The nonhazardous plan for this video was to post it to my gaming channel Unfashionably Late Gaming https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7m2Fa_3VVT_8ESEtPRXu2w
--first with the intent that I would showcase my Cybershoes and their use to add a small amount of exercise to a non-fitness game, and once I learned that they are not compatible with this particular game (yet) the plan became to simply showcase the game as-is. The plan, as such, was to play until a not-yet-determined point--either the point where the game mimics the TV show's title sequence, or maybe, if I could be brave enough, to venture past the last point that I shut down the game without saving--before rendering both the cast version of the footage and that recorded on my 360 degree GoPro Fusion.
But since that plan was not to be, you get the hazardous version here.

And here are the hazards I noticed:
Equipment limitations: The #OculusQuest has the ability to stream your gameplay to your computer via a compatible web browser and specific link. However, for reasons that nobody but FaceBook has ever been able to identify, casting this way does not transmit sound to the computer... I had to rely on my webcam being able to detect the game's audio simply by picking it up the same way it picked up my own voice. Except my computer's fan decided to be very loud during much of the session.
(I found a program on Microsoft store with reviews stating that it allows the content to cast WITH audio. I might cave and actually invest in the the thing.)

Height challenged: There are plenty of real-world occasions where YouTubers might easily encounter this issue, but for gameplay videos in particular I imagine it's probably unique to VR gaming. Unless of course you enjoy adding that particular bit of realism to character creation in any other game. (Makes me wonder if I'll notice it if and when I get around to playing Skyrim VR?)

And the final hazard, the one that prompted me to post this? Family. Roommates. Whatever sort of people might regularly expect to share the space you exist in.
People who you inform that you are recording something so that they know to give you some quiet time except in an emergency, and they still think that asking if there's a way to plug a standard size memory card into a Micro-SD card port (whilst ignoring the multiple USB ports and the very existence of card readers) is "emergency" enough to interrupt.


So, my fellow YouTubers, what sort of weird occupational hazards do you encounter when trying to make your videos? Which ones would you say are unique to YouTube/videography... and which ones unique even to your niche?

oculus questdoctor whoheight challenged

Post a Comment

0 Comments